Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Translation?

For the most part, I'm the one that translates the strange things that our youngest daughter mumbles. Today, however, I had to ask our oldest what the hell she said.
Iz: I want tay-tay-o's.
Me: What?
Iz: I want some tay-tay-o's.
Me: What are day-day-o's?
Iz: Tay-tay-o's! They're day-day-o's.
Me: Izy, I have no idea what you're talking about.
Iz: *faceplant into chair*
Me: Kal, can you tell me what you're sister is saying?
Kal: *nods*
Me: Izy, tell your sister what you want.
Iz: I want tay-tay-o's!
Kal: She says she wants Spagetti-O's.
Me: *facepalm*
Thankfully, the oldest can translate better than the rest of us. Since they were all born close together, they do have their own language. I was surprised the first few times people asked that, because people always assume our girls are twins. (They are 12 days short of being one year apart.) Usually it's mothers or grandmothers of multiples that ask. Hey, I guess we do have something in common!

Waiting for the boy to start talking more. He's rather quiet and shy though, so he just says "hi" and smiles at people. Waves. Bats his eyes... That sort of thing. Kalli introduces everyone and Izy hides. Seb is, of course, too small to do much of anything besides stare blankly and drool.

I just can't wait 'til they're all talking "their language" and no one else knows what the hell they're saying. They'll make fun of us, complain even more than they already do in the bedroom at night, and whatever else one can do while speaking a language that others don't understand.

And I'll, hopefully, figure out enough of it to get by... And maybe catch them being mean and pop in their room all like, "Don't talk like that!" and they'll drop and be so surprised I knew what they were saying.

Or, uh, not. I'm never going to be that awesome/cool.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...