Friday, March 09, 2012

"Would You Have Your Baby’s Ears Pierced?" My Response.

Years ago, I remember watching one of my friends getting her two week old daughter's ears pierced by a gun in Walmart. The baby was not happy, squirmed and fought, and was obviously in pain from it. Of course, as soon as she was walked around a bit she stopped crying and sniffling and seemed fine. Still, it was a bit disturbing to watch.

I remember having one of the piercing guns jam on my right ear when I was ten. I never got my ears pierced as a teen because of it. When I was twenty-one, I went with my future husband to a nice tattoo shop and got my ears pierced properly with a needle--not with a gun. I now have two holes on each side, but the ones on the right are a little off because of the scar tissue from the gun mishap all those years ago.

My husband was a piercer. He was also misfortune enough to have a piercing gun jam on him as a child as well. We both understand how those things work and how they are often unclean and used by people that really don't comprehend how to use them in the first place. We tend to think that getting one's ears pierced with a gun in some random shop in the mall is just asking for an infection.

If and when we ever decide to get our daughters (aged 3 & 2) ears pierced, we will be taking them to a nice tattoo parlor with a licensed piercer that has all their certifications and the place is CLEAN. Going to someplace in the mall or an outlet store that gives free piercings if you buy earrings? I don't think so. Would you let your kids get their vaccines from a doctor's office that is filthy? Think of it in the same sense, please.

Of course, I don't really see a point in putting earrings on tiny children that can't take care of them. If they can't clean their piercings, then they don't need to have them. (Too bad teenagers don't realize this! I've seen so many rejections and infections it's not even funny!) If they understand that it'll hurt and that if they want them they need to learn how to take care of it, it is a hole in your skin after all, then I don't see a reason why you should deny them--boy or girl.
Would You Have Your Baby’s Ears Pierced?

1 comment:

  1. By the way, am I the only one that doesn't want to just "go get it done" because we have daughters? My mother-in-law annoyed me the other night by saying something about how we should just "get it done" since they're little. Why should anyone have the right to tell someone else what to do with their own body? (Especially when it's not even the parent.)

    ReplyDelete

Please Click Here to Visit Top Mommy Blogs and Vote for Me! Please Click Here to Visit Picket Fence Blogs and Vote for Me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...